The Diagnostiki Athinon's test of urine organic acids with MetaBolomiX™ provides a "snapshot" of the metabolism, based on the products that the body excretes through the urine. Organic acids are small molecules, by-products of cellular activity, digestion, and metabolism of the intestinal microbiome.
The analysis of urine organic acids with MetaBolomiX™ is used to detect nutritional deficiencies, to detect genetic mutations in enzymes involved in metabolism, to assess the functional status of mitochondria as well as to assess the function of the gastrointestinal tract and the nervous system.
Why is it important to test Organic Acids?
Organic acids are a large group of compounds used in the body's basic metabolic processes. They are derived from food proteins, fats, and carbohydrates and are used by the body to produce energy and to create the necessary building blocks in cells. Organic acid analysis has long been used for the early detection or exclusion and monitoring of certain inherited metabolic disorders.
The test of organic acids in the urine provides a broad overview of body function. A simple urine sample can be used to simultaneously assess the function and health of the Intestine, Liver, Nervous System, Energy Metabolism, Mitochondrial health as well as deficiencies in various nutrients. Understanding how these individual systems work at any given time allows for an in-depth analysis of system interactions.
The measurement of urine organic acids helps to evaluate the following important functions of the body:
- Cellular energy and mitochondrial metabolism
- Biochemical pathways of protein, carbohydrate, and lipid metabolism
- The adequacy and functionality of various factors (vitamins & trace elements) involved in cellular metabolism
- Gastrointestinal function and intestinal microbiome function
- The function and metabolism of neurotransmitters
Metabolic imbalance is a condition that can occur in many chronic diseases, such as chronic fatigue, gastrointestinal disorders, musculoskeletal problems, mood disorders, and headaches, chronic diseases that are usually resistant to long-term conventional treatments.
Laboratory evaluation of multiple systems and organs at the same time and monitoring of biochemical pathways, such as the measurement of urine organic acids with MetaBolomiX™, allow the treatment of the individual as a whole. The investigation of all possible causes for the appearance of a pathological condition, enables the correct diagnosis, the application of an appropriate treatment, and the effective management of patients.
Who should check their Organic Acids?
Monitoring of urine Organic Acids with MetaBolomiX™ can help patients to investigate the causes of chronic diseases such as:
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Attention and Memory Disorders
- Depression, Mood Disorders and Stress
- Epileptic seizures
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Cardiovascular Diseases, Hypertension
- Gastrointestinal Disorders (Flatulence, etc.)
- Infertility (in Men and Women)
- Nutritional Deficiencies
- Weight Disorders
- Rheumatoid Arthritis and other Autoimmune Diseases
- Myalgias and Arthralgias